Citizens have questioned the rationale behind the Karnataka Urban Development and Coastal Environmental Management Project (Kudcemp) in the city as preparations are under way to launch the second phase of works under the Asian Development Bank-funded scheme.
Dakshina Kannada MP Nalin Kumar Kateel had earlier alleged that works under the project were not implemented properly and vowed to make a complaint to the Lokayukta against the Mangaluru City Corporation (MCC) officer who was at the helm during the first phase of the project.
On Saturday, the NGO, Citizens Forum for Mangalore Development, organised the ‘Discussion meet on Mangaluru’s experience with infrastructure projects-ADB 50’ at Roshni Nilaya. M Raghavan from the NGO, Task Force on ADB Funded Loan Project, said: “Though the period of implementing the project is 20 years (2026), it’s still dragging on with just nine years left. Going at this pace, it’s not ADB that is losing, but the MCC and the people of Mangaluru.”
Speaking on the occasion, an RTI activist said forming a ward-level committee was inevitable to keep track of the project. Criticising Mangaluru South MLA J R Lobo, whom he saw “harping” on television about forthcoming projects, he said: “Such is the pathetic situation that the authorities are still unable to plug civic problems at the ward level.”
Citing information obtained from the authorities concerned, he said Rs 890 had been spent under Kudcemp on cutting just one square metre of grass.